Complete chroot environment?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 21:04:09 UTC 2007

Jack Byers wrote:
> Tom Horsley wrote
>
> I've been experimenting with chroot to switch to an
> alternate root partition and "do stuff" without
> actually having to reboot to that alternate OS.

I'd like the answer for a slightly different scenario too.  If you boot
the install disk in rescue mode and the system is able to detect your
installed drives and mount them for you, it will also populate /dev.
However, if the reason you needed the rescue boot was that /etc/fstab
doesn't match the current layout or something similar that prevents
automatic mounting, it doesn't work.  You may be able to manually mount
the correct partitions, but you can't chroot there without whatever this
missing step is that sets up the /dev entries in udev based systems.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com