X problems .. NVidia, Breaks after updaes applied... New to list

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Dec 23 23:01:59 UTC 2007

Dick Seabrook wrote:
> I apologize if this has been discussed -- just joined the
> list.
> The last two updates blew away video driver access
> necessary for Google Earth and the Second Life
> client.  Fortunately re-installing the Nvidia driver
> fixed the problem in each case.  Does anyone
> have a suggestion for avoiding this problem?
> Dick S.

NVidia drivers need to catch up to the kernel. If you are running a
script for NVidia, it will need to run each time the update upgrades the
kernel. It is a module that needs built specifically to match the kernel
version.
If you are running an rpm version and the NVidia driver is older than
the newly installed kernel, there are helper plugins for yum which will
suppress the kernel updates and then release the NVidia update and allow
the kernel to be updated.

Others who have NVidia drivers can inform you of other options available.

Jim
--
Disclaimer: "These opinions are my own, though for a small fee they be
yours too."