X problems

Jonathan Underwood jonathan.underwood at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 23:02:30 UTC 2007

On 23/12/2007, Dick Seabrook <dick.seabrook at gmail.com> wrote:
> I apologize if this has been discussed -- just joined the
> list.
> The last two updates blew away video driver access
> necessary for Google Earth and the Second Life
> client.  Fortunately re-installing the Nvidia driver
> fixed the problem in each case.  Does anyone
> have a suggestion for avoiding this problem?
> Dick S.

You don't mention what the"last two updates" were - i.e. what packages
were updated. My guess though is that you have installed your NVidia
drivers using the downlod from the nvidia site.

However, probably your update installed a new kernel, and that
requires the nvidia wrappers to be re-compiled. Hence your need to
re-install the nvidia wrapper. The point is that you've installed the
nvidia drvers outside of the RPM packaging system, in essence short
circuiting it. That's fine, if you're happy to reinstall the drivers
whenever the kernel updates, and don't mind that it clobbers other
installed files.

However, you'd be better off doing some research into how to install
the nvidia drivers in rpm form from the livna website. There is a lot
written about this in the mailing list archives and on the web -
google fedora nvidia, for example.