listening to protected audio cds

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 17:28:05 UTC 2007

Robin Laing wrote:
> Konstantin Svist wrote:
>> Is there a way to listen to "protected" audio CDs in Linux/Fedora?
>> It seems that most of the time, the CD can't be read at all.
>> Sometimes, the system is able to read it after trying for 20 minutes
>> or so - but it's not consistent (next time it says can't read the CD)
>>
>> Why is it possible on windows but not on Linux?
>>
>> Note I'm not talking about ripping CD - just listening to them.
>>

> The software on the CD needs to be installed.  The problem is that the
> software is "Widows only," in 95% of the cases.  Remember the Sony
> Root kit issue?
>
> If you can read the CD and play it, then rip it and make a clean copy
> for your usage under "Fair Usage."
>
> Some CD's have the music in a second session on the CD and you will
> have to mount that.  This is for playing on CD players.  I do not
> remember how to do this at this time.
>
> Sorry I cannot be any help.  I just avoid to purchase any Digital
> Restriction Managed CD's.  The last one I purchased, I returned for a
> full refund.  The store didn't want to refund my money because it was
> opened but there was no warning on the package saying that the CD
> could only be played in a Windows computer.  The clerk told me to
> install the software and I asked them to get me the Linux version.
> Refund made.

I'm pretty sure that as long as normal audio players (e.g. in your car)
can play the CD, the PC CD/DVD drive can play one as well. Back when I
was using Windows, I've killed autorun immediately upon windows install
since '97 or so - so none of the protected CDs ever installed anything.
And yet, I was able to run audiograbber and rip the CDs that Linux
refused to recognize.

So.. why such a big difference?
I get that the CD tries to confuse the computer by having a mangled data
track - and the audio-only player just ignores that track. So, the
question is, why can't I tell Linux "Don't try read this next CD
automatically, you'll get confused. Lucky for you, I know it's an audio
CD, so just play the damn audio!!"?