Desktop effects could not be enabled

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Mon Dec 24 23:13:07 UTC 2007

Alan wrote:
>> have you downloaded the proprietary drivers from the NVIDIA site or
>> livna repository?
>> take a look at this FAQ
>> link:
>> http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f8.html#nvidia
>>

> If you use the proprietary drivers and their xconfig utility, make sure
> you remove the modules section.  (If the modules section is not there, it
> loads all of them.) You may want to look at the command line options for
> the nvidia xconfig routine.  There are a lot more options involved that
> are useful if you are using compiz-fusion.  They don't have a "turn it all
> on" option, unfortunately.)
>

>> elk dolk wrote:
>>
>>> I have downloaded the driver for my NVIDIA GeForce FX5500  video card.
>>>
>>> */Sudheer <sudheer.s at binaryvibes.co.in>/* wrote:
>>>
>>>     Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 02:05:04 +0530
>>>     From: Sudheer <sudheer.s at binaryvibes.co.in>
>>>     To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>>>     Subject: Re: Desktop effects could not be enabled
>>>
>>>     elk dolk wrote:
>>>     > Hi All,
>>>     >
>>>     > I have Fedora 8 and want to enable desktop effects ,
>>>     > compiz-fusion,compiz-fusion-extras-gnome , compiz-fusion-gnome,
>>>     > compiz-gnome, compiz-manager, compiz-fusion-extras are already
>>>     > installed ,when I try to enable desktop effects
>>>     > (Preferences->Look&Feel->Desktop effects) it says : Desktop
>>> effects
>>>     > could not be enabled
>>>     >
>>>     >
>>>     > why?
>>>     >
>>>     Most probably because you have not installed the drivers that fully
>>>     support for your video adapter.
>>>     >
>>>     >

    I am a happy user of the Nvidia driver available from their web site
and have used the same driver, a bash file with a binary part, on both
F7 and F8. I also have a Application -> System Tools -> Nvidia Control
Panel which allows me to tune what I want to see on my system.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User