Stop anacron?

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Tue Dec 25 14:46:13 UTC 2007

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-12-24 at 18:59 -0800, John Poelstra wrote:
>
>> Bob Goodwin said the following on 12/24/2007 08:34 AM Pacific Time:
>>
>>> How can I stop anacron from running if cron has already run just before?
>>>
>>> Or if they would each save to different log files I guess that would
>>> work too.
>>>
>>> As it is if the computer is running at four in the morning both are
>>> saved to a file that is sent to me and I wind up reading through
>>> essentially the same set of data twice.  A minor thing I suppose but I
>>> would prefer getting it only once.
>>>
>>> Bob Goodwin
>>>

>> Some people (like me) simply disable anacron for this reason on all of
>> my boxes.  None of my cron jobs are so important that they need to be
>> run if they missed their originally scheduled time--particularly on laptops.
>>
>> chkconfig --del anacron
>>

> I think : chkconfig anacron off
>
> would be the less traumatic thing to do.
> --

The obvious choice to me would be to turn off cron and let anacron run
since I believe it comes on sometime [programmable] after boot.  My
problem being that I normally shut the computer down at night  and get
up early on the morning  sometimes before and sometimes after cron runs.

However I believe cron must be left on or anacron won't run?

BobG