network interface virbr0 ...what is it?

Bob Hung bthung at roadrunner.com
Tue Dec 25 16:25:13 UTC 2007

Ric Moore wrote:

> Thanks! I'm running F7 and I'm not sure what package is in that "virtual
> machine" group. Would that be something like zen? Is it doing any harm?
> I just was wondering what the heck it was and network manager wasn't
> showing or controlling it. Merry Xmas to everyone! Ric

Hi Ric,

I don't run F7 at the moment, but with F8 Virtualization Group, I see
packages like
Kernel-xen, kvm, qemu, xen.  These are all different forms of
virtualization.  The bridge
network would do any harm other than taking some extra memory space.
192.168 is
a private network, so no one from the outside can get to it unless you
configure your
router or iptables to forward the traffic.

I like a simple clean system, so I would remove the packages if I'm not
doing
virtualization.

--
BH