sadly, i've lost all my sound again

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Tue Dec 25 16:32:25 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 25 December 2007 16:48, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   after a recent(?) kernel upgrade, i've managed to lose all sound on
> my gateway laptop.  sound configuration seems fine, also:
>
> $ lspci
> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High
> Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
>
>   and
>
> $ lsmod | grep snd
> snd_hda_intel         274529  4
> snd_seq_dummy           6725  0
> snd_seq_oss            29889  0
> snd_seq_midi_event      9793  1 snd_seq_oss
> snd_seq                44849  5
> snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
> snd_seq_device         10061  3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
> snd_pcm_oss            37569  0
> snd_mixer_oss          16705  2 snd_pcm_oss
> snd_pcm                63685  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss
> snd_timer              20549  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
> snd_page_alloc         11337  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
> snd_hwdep              10309  1 snd_hda_intel
> snd                    43461  15
> snd_hda_intel,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,
>snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_hwdep soundcore               9633  2 snd
> $
>
>   i'm open to suggestions.  thanks.  and merry (linu)xmas.
>
> rday

Hi Robert. Sorry that your sound has gone into the bit bucket.

Have you still got an earlier kernel you can boot with, and see if the result
is the same? IIRC there were kernel version/s that had a problem with the
alsa driver.

Open alsamixer on the CLI, and check that nothing is muted, and sliders are
up.

Which Fedora version are you using? If it's F8, I might suspect pulseaudio,
but if sound was working before, maybe not.

Can you download, and run the script below, and post back the link to pastebin
that is created. This gives a lot of info about your sound setup. (make sure
to make it executable)
http://bulletproof.servebeer.com/alsa/scripts/alsa-info.sh

Did you have to set any model options for snd-hda-intel in /etc/modprobe.conf?

Just a few things to keep your mind occupied.

Nigel.