Volume discrepancy between tvtime and other apps

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Dec 26 05:58:10 UTC 2007

Receiving 60,000 µV...

Gene Heskett:
> And it was still snowy on the hauppauge card.  Bin time, it also
> picked up all sorts of digital noises in the computer, doing that
> directly from the first install gitgo.

That sort of thing has been my experience with all digital receivers
(radio or television) - lots of noise.  They're noisy in themselves,
sensitive to noise, and/or emit noise and upset other equipment (so you
need high-isolation splitters to feed an antenna to more than one
receiver).  And since the beginning of digital TV transmissions around
here, just about all analogue signals have suffered.  We used to have
just six TV stations, four of them on the VHF band and two on UHF, with
all repeated once more further up the UHF band.  Now, we've got several
more re-transmissions over the VHF and UHF band, and they interfere with
each other.  I don't think they planned digital TV very well at all.

Years ago I bought a cheap analogue TV card, a FlyVideo'98, and I've
never seen a crapper product.  It had what'd have to be the world's
worst tuner, though my Liteon DVD recorder comes close.  And the world's
crashiest drivers, you were almost guarenteed to lock up Windows if you
tried to use the card.  It didn't fare much better with Linux, the card
would lock up occassionally, there was no way to get it to switch into a
PAL mode, and it wouldn't use the S-Video socket properly.

At the time, and for a while later, various TV card reviews in magazines
didn't really have any kind words to say for any cards currently
available on our market.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386