Mounting SD card with specific encoding

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Wed Dec 26 09:38:04 UTC 2007

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> As using copepage 1255 did not work, is there anything else that I
> could try? I tried using flag -t msdos instead of -t vfat but that did
> not help either.

FWIW....

On my RHELv4 system I mount a usbdrive using the following....

/bin/mount -t vfat -o codepage=1255,iocharset=iso8859-8,utf8 /dev/sdd1
/media/usbdisk

I then created a directory and did an ls.  The results were...

[egreshko at misty bin]$ ls /media/usbdisk/
namedb  named.conf  patch-vmnet-for-linux-2.6.22.1  shorewall  תיקייהעברית

Also lsmod showed nls_cp1255 to have been loaded.

I then umounted the disk and remounted with...

/bin/mount /media/usbdisk

and ls showed....

[egreshko at misty bin]$ ls /media/usbdisk/
???????????  namedb  named.conf  patch-vmnet-for-linux-2.6.22.1  shorewall

I then moved the usbdisk to my F8 system and allowed the system to automount
it....

It shows fine...

I think you are using F8.  You may want to try allowing it to be
automounted.  I'll try using the options on F8 when I have time...but just a
bit busy as of now....  Unless you think there is no need for me to try
things for you.