Volume discrepancy between tvtime and other apps

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Dec 26 17:23:23 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 26 December 2007, Tim wrote:
>On Wed, 2007-12-26 at 03:03 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Here in a market of this size & ranking, things get done on the cheap
>> if at all possible.  But then you've been to this dog & pony show
>> yourself, so that shouldn't surprise you. :)  Management thinks they
>> can buy that mask filter with a phone call and a check with delivery
>> Tuesday, so they're not listening when I say it should be on order now
>> because of manufacturing lead times.
>
>Up at Mount Lofty, where our TV transmitters are, there was some device
>in one of the racks that was particularly prone to transmitted RF
>getting into it and disrupting its operation.  There was a quick fix
>applied, and I'm told, one that remained in place for many years:
>
>They took one of those bags that roasted chickens are sold in (with foil
>on the inside, paper on the outside, and plastic wrap sandwiched
>between), turned it inside out, and sat the device inside it.  It
>worked, and worked well, so that's how things stayed until someone saw
>fit to do a better looking job.  ;-)

Our tx building has a framed up against the cement block wall divider wall
between the tx and the control room, puncture by several FCC mandated windows
since its not remote controlled, and this divider wall is lined with
galvanized sheet metal.  How effective it might have been I have NDI.  I'm
not sure why they felt it was needed as an antenna, microammeter & diode
carried around has to be very close to the non-screened windows in the
transmitter walls to get a full scale reading, and the renewal survey with
the Holaday leakage meter is absolutely zero except for one 6" square window
above the aural drivers 4-1000 stage.  Even that meets the 1 hour exposure
guidelines.

All that was done BG (Before Gene) meaning sometime in the 1956 to 1984 time
frame.  The place is a museum, in bad need of janitorial service since the
one operator I had that made sure it was cleaned up put himself and a Piper
Apache into a hill near Lake Floyd just east of Bridgeport about a decade ago
now. It was flying gear down dirty (hydraulic failure, headed for the shop in
Maryland to get it fixed) which means both engines had better be running
right or one should choose his crash site carefully.  The NTSB says both were
running when it impacted.  It also said the trim was fully nose down, and
that Apache wheel runs backwards to most small airplane trim wheels.  He
could have gotten confused as he flew most anything they pointed to out on
the parking.  A hired driver with a good reputation in fact.

>I was thinking, though, that perhaps your initial issue, with the tuner
>not working even with a high signal level, might have suffered from too
>much signal.

It was initially driven by the local cable system & they were very carefull
not to exceed 1 millivolt into the house.  It was a high vacuum suckage even
then, very noisy pix when 3 other tv's at the same splitter db were good to
go.

How'd we get so damned far off-topic anyway. :-)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)