Linksys KiSS 1600 PC-LINK equivalent?

Neil Cherry ncherry at linuxha.com
Wed Dec 26 18:44:27 UTC 2007

Dick Holland wrote:
>>> TVM for the pointers. But I think they're not what I'm looking for.
>>>
>>> The Linksys PC-LINK product is I think just a file-sharer that runs in
>>> Win/MAC. I'm told that Windows Vista can do it automatically from Media
>>> Player; I'm looking for a Linux equivalent of such file-sharing
>>> software.
>>>
>>> Someone mentioned somewhere "kissd", but it seems to be a dormant
>>> project. Anyone had any experience with it?
>> Sorry I thought you were looking for the whole kit-n-kabootle.
>>
>> Okay since I'm a little confused please tell me what the KiSS 1600
>> is for and we can start the discussion there. I'm guessing that I
>> probably have some kind of solution for you but need a starting
>> point for the discussion.
>>
>> The stuff I have, NLSU running TwonkyVision (media server), a
>> Linksys WMSL11B (media play, plays music) and a DSM320 (soon
>> to have the DSM320RD, media player, play video and music).
>> BTW, LinuxMCE and MythTV can be clients as wells as servers.
>>
>> --
>> Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com
>> http://www.linuxha.com/                         Main site
>> http://linuxha.blogspot.com/                    My HA Blog
>> Author of:    	Linux Smart Homes For Dummies
>>

> The KiSS 1600 is a CD/DVD player which plugs into a TV set and has a
> WiFi and wired ethernet NIC, so you can hang it on your LAN. Linksys
> supply a piece of file-sharing software called PC-LINK which runs under
> Win & MAC. On my boxes, I run Fedora 6 on one, and CentOS 5 on the
> other, so I'm looking for an equivalent to PC-LINK for Linux.
>
> I have seen reference elsewhere to a daemon called "kissd" which seems
> to do just the job, but it appears to be a dead project.

I've found kissd for the 1500 still don't know enough about it
to answer you're question but I'm still guessing that one of
the software packages like Twonky or Slimserver may work. I'll
further look at kissd and see what it's about. Take a further
link at my upnp/media server page to see if there is anything
else that might be helpful. If you find anything let me know
and I'll update the page too.

http://www.linuxha.com/other/media/

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com