Fedora Cookbook: The Broadcom wireless recipe.

Vivek J. Patankar vivek.patankar at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 18:33:38 UTC 2007

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Dec 2007, Vivek J. Patankar wrote:
>> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>> http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Broadcom_wireless_on_Fedora_8
>>> feedback appreciated.
>> The method worked flawlessly for me, except that I followed instructions  from
>> http://fedoramobile.org/fc-wireless/bcm43xx-yum-extras
>> I have an Acer Aspire 5004 with a bcm4318 chip.
>
> hmmmm ... i note that that page strongly recommends the use of
> NetworkManager.  not that long ago, people were complaining about how
> it didn't work very well.  perhaps i'll have to take another look at
> it but, for now, since it doesn't seem critical, i just leave it out
> of the mix.

IMO, NetworkManager is the way to go as far as wireless is concerned.
But it is a royal pain when you have to switch to and from wired
networks often. I usually turn off 'NetworkManager' and start the
'network' service if I am connecting to a wired network.
The biggest irritation with it is how when I connect to my wireless
network at home, it adds the router address to the top of resolv.conf,
but doesn't remove it when disconnecting and I have to make
modifications to resolv.conf if I am on a wired network or connected via
my GPRS connection.

--
Regards,
विवेक ज. पाटणकर (Vivek J. Patankar)