Hard drive encryption question for dual-boot XP and Fedora

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Dec 27 23:05:47 UTC 2007

Kerry Miller wrote:
> My company is requiring us to encrypt the hard drive on all laptops.
> We've already got some encryption software but it only works with Windows,
> not anything set up to dual boot or anything running VMware.  Do any of
> you guys know of some kind of encryption software (open source or not)
> that can handle a dual boot laptop with Windows XP on one partition and
> Fedora on the other?  He's already told me I need to get rid of my Linux
> partition but I need it for network diagnostics, I'm hoping if I can find
> an alternative he'll let me and the other network guy use a different
> encryption package.

If the laptops boot from USB then a 4.0 or 8.0 Gbyte Sandisk or similar
might be a suitable alternative to a linux partition, and should be fine
for network diagnostics.

I would not defy The Boss, but if he agrees Linux is good for its
diagnostic tools, then the question becomes "How do we do this?" and a
USB disk that's encrypted and doesn't carry sensitive data, or even a
CD/DVD might be part of the answer.

Remember, your job is to help The Boss look good.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait