listening to protected audio cds

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 23:41:10 UTC 2007

Alan Cox wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 14:52:09 -0800
> Konstantin Svist <fry.kun at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is there a way to listen to "protected" audio CDs in Linux/Fedora?
>> It seems that most of the time, the CD can't be read at all. Sometimes,
>> the system is able to read it after trying for 20 minutes or so - but
>> it's not consistent (next time it says can't read the CD)
>>
>> Why is it possible on windows but not on Linux?
>>
>> Note I'm not talking about ripping CD - just listening to them.
>>

> If you've got a corrupted piece of shiny plastic (note the ones with
> deliberate corruptions are not a 'compact disc' as that is a trademark
> reserved for describing real ones) then what happens depends a lot on the
> disc itself
>
> Some sneakily install windows drivers and play mp3 type copies on a PC,
> others have corruptions so you can play them via an audio cable but not
> digitally - if so cdplay will play them but not tools that digitally
> rip/play for better quality. Others contain corrupt headers which will
> just break on PC hardware.
>
> Alan

Okay, let's take a particular one.
http://www.amazon.com/Laundry-Service-Shakira/dp/B00005R2M3
It's a purchased cd, works well in dedicated cd playes (car, desk) - and
also works in windows (and can be ripped with audiograbber). I'm
reasonably sure no "drivers" have been installed - because autoplay is
disabled. Is there a way to check explicitly for any of that crap?

Whenever I insert it into a linux computer, it takes several minutes to
recognize that anything is even in the drive (at least, in KDE). After
the CD is recognized, the audio can be ripped, but has problems.
I guess then my question is, why is it that windows/audiograbber can
play/rip the CD, but linux can't?