Fedora Cookbook: Resizing a logical volume

moi rainer at lucien.sysadmin.at
Fri Dec 28 11:02:40 UTC 2007

Root FS resizes imho usually requires the Rescue mode. Perhaps when
growing, but shrinking is a bit tough...

You may - in rescue mode - import the Volume Group (when using LVM) and
do the resize operations. Do not forget to do a partprobe /dev/xda, as
the kernel will still be using the old filesystem tables when resizing
(one of our customers did a shrink on the root partition and ran fsck,
this made a lot of errors afterwards).

brgds
rainer