2.6.23.8-34.fc7 source is 2.6.23.9-rc1

Abhishek Rane abhishekrane at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 11:52:19 UTC 2007

Craig Campbell (craig) wrote:
> I am trying to build a driver (yet again) for my Highpoint RAID card.  This is apparently required for eadch kernel update.
>
> I hacked the drive source to remove a reference to scsi_device_cancel() which has apparently been removed.  All went well, until I tried to boot the kernel.  Then, there was a version mis-match.
>
> For some reason, the kernel source rpm for 2.6.23.8-34.fc7 claims a version of 2.6.23.9-rc1.  What the?!?
>
> Can someone explain to me why this is so?  There is no kernel 2.6.23.9-rc1 (that I can find).  I am not seeking an experimental kernel, and only build this driver because I must.
>
> Is there somewhere where I can download the kernel cource that matches the current release?  Really, I just want to 'slip in' the necessary driver and keep my system as unhacked as possible.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> -craig
>
> P.S.  Be gentle, this is my first post...

rc1 is the release candidate of the kernel..Kernel sources can be
downloaded from
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/7/Fedora/source/SRPMS/
or through yum you cna do like this for downloading the source kernel
rpm into your Home directory

sudo <http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f7.html#sudo> yum install yum-utils
sudo yumdownloader --source kernel

After that use the rpm command to install it