Where do you put all your HTML stuff on a home Linux server?

Timothy Selivanow timothy.selivanow at virtualxistenz.com
Fri Dec 28 17:38:48 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-12-29 at 03:49 +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-12-28 at 16:10 +0000, Chris G wrote:
> > 2 - In apache's DocumentRoot (/var/www/html in my case)
> >
> >     Messier with permissions if you want to edit HTML without becoming
> >     root all the time.  Also not so convenient for editing even with
> >     permissions set up OK as it's not in your home directory.
> >
> >     Easier to make sure that any outside access can only see what you
> >     want to be seen.
> >
> >     Cleaner/easier URLs without the need for symbolic links.
> >
> >     Not really practical for multi-user but this doesn't apply for me.
> >
> >     Need to back up separately from /home (though I suppose you could
> >     make /var/html a link across to the /home partition)
>
> I tend to follow this direction:  Change the /var/www/html ownership, or
> the ownership of a sub-directory (more preferable), to yourself.  Put a
> symlink from your homespace to that location (this is a shortcut for
> your editing purposes, files are web served directly from Apache's usual
> location for public files).
>
> It's quite practical for multi-users, if they have their own
> sub-directories in /var/www/html.  Or you change the group ownership,
> and add appropriate users to that web-authoring group.
>
> --
> (This computer runs FC7, my others run FC4, FC5 & FC6, in case that's
>  important to the thread.)

I've used this method before also.  I've found it to be the most
reasonable for what I've needed to work with.

--Tim
/ AMAZING BUT TRUE ...                                                        \
|         If all the salmon caught in Canada in one year were laid end to end |
\         across the Sahara Desert, the smell would be absolutely awful.      /
  \
   \   \
        \ /\
        ( )