Where do you put all your HTML stuff on a home Linux server?

Alan alan at clueserver.org
Fri Dec 28 18:00:31 UTC 2007

> On Fri, Dec 28, 2007 at 12:16:16PM -0500, Chris Snook wrote:
>> Chris G wrote:
>>> 2 - In apache's DocumentRoot (/var/www/html in my case)
>>>
>>>     Messier with permissions if you want to edit HTML without becoming
>>>     root all the time.  Also not so convenient for editing even with
>>> permissions set up OK as it's not in your home directory.
>>
>> For home use, I find 'chown -R luser:luser /var/www/html' to be a
>> suitable
>> solution.  You can also 'ln -s /var/www/html ~/public_html' and then any
>> scripts or html editing apps that look in your home directory will be
>> happy, but you don't need to worry about enabling home directory support
>> in
>> httpd and SELinux.
>>
> Yes, that's one way of doing it (the chown) but it's often necessary
> to fix things after installations which often have to be done as root
> and thus put root owned stuff there.

If you use the home directory option with ~/public_html, you need to make
sure that the home directories have the executable bit set.  (It does not
need read or write, only execute.)  Apache needs this to be able to
traverse the file structure to get to the files.

Symlinking stuff out of var into home directories (or visaversa) is just a
bad idea.  You will then need to make sure that FollowSymlinks is set and
that just opens more security issues.

User directories are not usually turned on in the httpd.conf file by
default.  You will probably have to uncomment some things and restart the
system to get it to work correctly.