DIR_COLORS, How to change blue to a darker blue, such as "Navy"?

Duane Clark fpga at pacbell.net
Fri Dec 28 19:16:57 UTC 2007

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> I am fiddling with /etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm-color, thinking that this is where
> /etc/DIR_COLORS, 34/44=blue are being defined assuming an xterm window?
>
> My problem is that blue (0,0,255) is a bright dazzling blue color and
> I need to tone it down a bit to something like "Navy" in X terminology.
>
> How can this be done or is it hardwired?

Normally you should not bother modifying the files in app-defaults.
Instead, create the file ~/.Xresources and put your customizations there.

For xterms, I have these defaults in my ~/.Xresources file (a line
starting with '!' is commented out).

XTerm*foreground:               Black
XTerm*background:               Gray90
! XTerm*cursorColor:            <color>
! XTerm*pointerColor:           <color>
XTerm*Font:
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal-*-*-140-*-*-m-*-i
so8859-1
XTerm*vt100*geometry:           80x35
XTerm*scrollBar:                True
XTerm*Scrollbar*width:          17
XTerm*Scrollbar*background:     LightSteelBlue
XTerm*saveLines:                800
XTerm*pointerColor:             Red
XTerm*highlightSelection:  true

There used to be a program to show standard colors and color names, but
I don't see anything on my system that looks familiar. You should be
able to specify colors like
XTerm*background:               #RRGGBB