USB

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Dec 28 22:49:23 UTC 2007

Dr P Dupre wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Dec 2007, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>
>> Dr P Dupre wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I did copy a FC4 working machine to a usb external disk before update.
>>> However, I wanted to boot on this clone but I am still working to find a
>>> way to have it work.
>>> I am using lilo.
>>> Can I find a clear example or a clear documentation on how to setup
>>> up the lilo.conf file.
>>>
>>> Thank.
>>>
>> We would need some more information:
>> Does your BIOS see the USB drive?
> Probably no

This will be a problem. LILO and Grub both use the BIOS for disk access.

>> Are you planning to boot this drive using boot from USB option, or
>> do you want it as an option from another boot loader?
> Yes, I am trying to keep the lilo from the /dev/hda. From there I can
> choice to boot from hda or sda.

If you want the goot loader on hda to load the boot loader on the
USB drive, you need the LILO equivalent of Grub chainload. You may
also have to use the map command to change the BIOS numbers of the
drive. (You will if you are using the original LILO install on the
USB drive.)

>> Have you built a new initrd for the F4 disk with the USB and
>> usb_storage modules?
> Yes,
> I did by using some info that I got from the web. I have the following
> error:
> RAMDISK: compressed image found at block 0
> Kernel panic-not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown
> block(8,2)
It sounds like you do are missing a driver. Did you remember to
include the high level SCSI drivers? Remember, USB disks are treated
like SCSI drives, not IDE drives. But I don't know the driver manes
for FC4 off the top of my head.

>> Have you edited /etc/fstab to reflect that you are using a separate
>> drive?
> Yes. But right now the error is with the init. I have not reach the fstab.
>
> Is the procedure for FC6 or higher easier ?

It is real easy if you install directly to the USB drive. It is a
pain if you change an existing IDE install to USB. Also, if your
BIOS can not access the USB drive, then you can not boot from it at
all. You have to have the /boot partition on a partition that is
readable by the BIOS.

But it looks like you are loading the kernel and initrd. You just
don't have everything you need in the initrd.

Mikkel