Java problem

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 23:42:13 UTC 2007

Craig White wrote:

>>> ----
>>> look in /usr/java
>>>
>>> if you know what you want, you can create a symbolic link in /usr/bin
>>> but that should never be necessary.
>> It's too bad that RedHat and Sun can't agree on where java should live.
>>    For earlier versions of fedora, jpackage.org had a way to fix this
>> breakage, but they seem to have stopped at FC6.
> ----
> patience...
>
> They are finally getting around to licensing it under GPL, things are
> finally stabilizing.

Having everyone do things their own way is your idea of stabilizing?
Who would it have hurt for either RH to make a system where Sun's
packaging would drop in and run or for Sun to package it to match RH's
arbitrary locations?  I never quite got the point of an RPM package that
didn't work.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com