Java problem

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Dec 29 19:15:05 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-12-29 at 13:01 -0500, David Boles wrote:

> >    I do not know. Unbuto has Nvidia drivers that worked on my computer.
> > But it was not perfect. I expect Windows which doesn't change kernels 5
> > times a year, could have the driver within but not sure it does.
>

> Microsoft supplies a generic Nvidia driver that works with all Nvidia
> cards. Similar to the one provided in the Linux kernel. If you actually
> buy the card, in a box, drivers are supplied on a CD. But not current
> one. Just as with Linux if you want the newest, 3D drivers you have to
> go to Nvidia, find the correct ones, and install them.
>
> The difference is that if you have already installed better drivers you
> have to uninstall them, reboot to the Microsoft provided one, install
> the new one and reboot to the newer ones. Then configure them.
>
> Microsoft does not provide Java on their disk. Actually they provide the
> operating system only. It does have some built in features but nothing
> really great. You get a real deal with the Linux OS/software when you
> install.  ;-)
----
Most people aren't assembling their own systems but are buying a branded
installation which already has the enhanced video drivers and often Java
pre-installed and thus most Windows users haven't a clue which is
provided by Microsoft and which is provided by the branded system.
That's just the way it is.

Craig