[Fedora] Seeing input on Securing the Linux system from intrusions and attacks.

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Sat Dec 29 22:41:17 UTC 2007

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 12:49:11 -0800 (PST)
"Dean S. Messing" <deanm at sharplabs.com> wrote:

> : Specify only the usernames and IP addresses allowed to log in through ssh
> : in /etc/ssh/sshd_config
>
> How does one get into one's system from one's laptop if one is traveling
> and forced to use the local hotel internet connection?

This is appropriate only where you have static addresses at both ends.  When
you have static addresses, it's a good addition to ssh security.

> : Add the appropriate entries to /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny to deny
> : remote access to ssh (and all other services)
>
> Again, how does this impact remote access when traveling?

See above.

Incidentally, is there any way I could persuade you to get rid of the colons
and use > (which have been a de-facto standard for quote marking ever since my
days using Opus and msged on Fidonet)?  Your colons mess up the colorized
highlighting that my email client uses to distinguish quotes from original
content and therefore makes your messages more difficult read.

Of course, that's just me, but I suspect there are a lot of others who use mail
clients with similar capabilities.  Colons instead of > will break them all.