USB

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Dec 30 00:35:57 UTC 2007

<----------------[ snip ]--------------->

> If I could find a tested file (including the lilo.conf), it would be
> great.
>
> Thank.

This looks good. Now, are you loading the kernel from your internal
hard drive, or have you chained to the copy on the USB drive? If you
have chained to the USB drive, have you edited /etc/lilo.conf on the
USB drive to change the root drive passed to the kernel from
/dev/hda to /dev/sda? You also have to run lilo after the change.
That complicates things a bit, because you have to either be able to
boot the OS, or mount it properly, and use chroot to use the FC4
environment. If you use the chroot method, you also have to change
lilo.conf so that it is installing on the USB drive. I don't
remember the exact syntax, but it is covered in the LILO man page.
(It has been too many years sense I used LILO.) If you can not find
it, let me know and I will dig it up.

I believe we have eliminated the drivers as a problem, so the next
thing to test is if you are passing the kernel the wrong drive. One
difference between LILO and Grub is that you have to run the lilo
command after making changes to the config file, while Grub will
normally read the changes at boot.

Mikkel