Java problem

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Dec 30 04:39:34 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-12-29 at 20:20 -0800, Kam Leo wrote:
> On Dec 29, 2007 7:24 PM, David Boles <dgboles at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Kam Leo wrote:
> > > On Dec 29, 2007 2:48 PM, David Boles <dgboles at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Neither openSuSE nor Fedora are end-all products. Both distributions
> > > make decent servers. However, neither is ready to replace Microsoft's
> > > Windows OS and the applications for that OS. Some day perhaps; just
> > > not today.
> >

> > I am not familiar openSuSE. But I thought that, from what I have read,
> > that openSuSE was a desktop oriented type distribution.
>
> Novell Corporation is the principle sponsor of openSUSE. openSUSE has
> an enterprise version with full support.
----
I am not knowledgeable here but what I see on
http://en.opensuse.org/Welcome_to_openSUSE.org
says "openSUSE also provides the base for Novell's award-winning SUSE
Linux Enterprise products" which has an entirely different meaning. I
suspect you are being imprecise.
----
> Says whom? Fedora is a test bed for Red Hat RHEL.
----
I'd be interested to see what evidence you offer for this besides just a
gut feeling. I've seen similar comments but they seem to be spouted by
people who simply don't know anything empirically. I haven't seen that
comment made by anyone from Red Hat but perhaps you have and can point
out a link to me.
----
>  Samba, apache, Open
> Office, Gnome, and KDE are just applications running on top of the
> latest version of the Linux OS. Which packages you install determines
> whether your machine is a server, a desktop, or a hybrid.
----
yes, but they aren't necessarily well tested because they tend to be
more bleeding edge
----
> > I see no problem, your choice of course, how many distributions you wish
> > to run. I would not think, if it was me, that I would run a desktop
> > distribution as a true server.
> >
> > May I ask why you do that? When there are several, many, good server
> > oriented distributions, run desktop oriented distributions as servers?
>
> Please tell me how the kernel, Apache, and Samba packages in the other
> server distributions are any better than the ones provided with
> Fedora.
----
I think that given your knowledge level, you already know the issues
anyway and have concluded that for your purposes, you will choose
something that is newer over that which is considered more stable and
known.

Given SuSE's (Novell) acknowledgment of Microsoft patents contained in
their 'deal', I would never install SuSE - but hey, that's just me.

Craig