[Fedora] Seeing input on Securing the Linux system from intrusions and attacks.

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Dec 30 09:49:00 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-12-30 at 08:03 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> It was more than a year ago when I attempted to install a Windows 2000
> system directly connected to the internet.  In fact, before the system
> was fully updated with security patches it had been compromised.  I
> didn't time it, but it certainly was less than 30 minutes.

That happened to a friend of mine.  It was something like four seconds
after connecting to his ISP he got infected, despite my warnings about
putting a firewall on first.  He didn't think he'd need it, he had
anti-virus software installed, and thought nothing could happen that
quickly, despite my assurances to the contrary.

To make matters worse, he couldn't remove the infection - his anti-virus
software didn't stop the infection, and wouldn't remove it.  So he
reformatted and re-installed.  An hour or so later he reconnected, and
got infected just the same way, and in just a few seconds, and couldn't
undo the damage (the virus was better at protecting itself than Windows
was).  I nearly fell off the chair laughing at him.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.