how to jigdo download a fedora 8 re-spin in one easy step?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sun Dec 30 13:21:33 UTC 2007

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007, Karl Larsen wrote:

> David Boles wrote:
> >
> > Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> > >   i will (sort of) agree with you.  yes, finley's website
> > > had/has piles of cool advice on how to do things.  my only beef
> > > with it is that it is simply too verbose.  here's an example --
> > > how to install yumex:
> > >
> > > http://www.stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html#Yumex
> > >
> > >   sure, that explanation is correct but, man, it's wordy.
> > > what's wrong with just saying:  "as root, run
> > >
> > >   # yum -y install yumex"
> > >
> > >  seriously, how many times do you need to be told to open a
> > > terminal and type "su"?  yes, i realize that's being annoyingly
> > > picky, but why take 15 lines to say what can be said just as
> > > accurately in two?

> > It's all part of the dumbing down that Linux is going through.
> >
> > The Infinite monkey theorem.  ;-)

>    I disagree. If you drive the documentation train Fedora will go
> down in flames.

you're right, karl ... and that's because i am the all-knowing and
infinitely powerful rday, and i have the frightening ability to
single-handedly destroy one of the world's most popular linux distros
by writing documentation the way i prefer and publishing it on my wiki
where people can choose to read it.  or not.  tremble before me!
tremble, i say, puny humans!  BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

um ... sorry, where was i?  oh, right.

> What you use as an example of poor instruction is the best I have
> seen in a long time. He tells you what it is. He tells you how to
> get it. He tells you where it is on your computer. Then he goes to
> the next subject on the same page which is Java.

except that mr. finley's section on java is a good example of what i
think is the (admittedly nitpicky) drawback to his otherwise stellar
online HOWTOs -- it's unnecessarily verbose and repetitive:

http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html#Java

seriously, what's the advantage of constantly typing:

  Type:

    # command

  Hit enter.

over and over again?  sure, it's correct, but after a while, it gets
kind of monotonous and annoying.  i mean, really, karl, how many
people do you know who need to be told repeatedly to hit ENTER after
typing in a command?

oh, wait ... forget i asked that.

>    You power users are a small group. You just want the basics man!
> There are a lot more people who are new users who will like the way
> Finley did it. He went to Umbuto because you guys drove him there.

i'm pretty sure you meant "umberto", but most of us probably
translated that automatically, karl.

> But if you have your way there will be no more new users.

nonsense, karl.  i promise to use my new superpowers only for good.
happy now?

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA