Intermittent Disaster

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sun Dec 30 17:03:49 UTC 2007

    My Fedora 7 and 8 are working fine. Typically I bring up my Firefox
web browser and try to read what is on the Google page. It is from a
newspaper and it has a lot of advertising and pop-ups. While all this is
coming up, sometimes it keys a sudden loss of the screen due to a full
screen cross-hatch, and neither keyboard or Mouse work. The only thing
to do is turn off power to the computer.

    This is an unacceptable event. It makes me MAD and since using ext3
I can turn off the computer and not loose anything but sometimes I
reboot and the problem will appear again in just a few minutes.

    This problem started right after I changed to this computer. And so
did the need to get a Nvidia driver for Linux. So I think it must be the
Nvidia software generating this. But I do not know this for a fact
because the problem is very intermittent.

    I hate this problem so much I plan to load another F8 and see if one
without Nvidia has the problem. The screen is just 800x600 but I can get
Firefox working and see what happens.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI