Java problem

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Dec 30 19:01:31 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:
> The bigger problem is distributing something that is not java compatable
>  but executing it with the java name.  Microsoft tried to promote an
> incompatible program that similarly fit their agenda with the java name
> and Sun successfully sued them over it.  The fedora-shipped not-java
> program that executes with the java name does just as much damage and
> shouldn't be named java until it passes the compatibility tests.  I'm
> surprised fedora's legal dept. allowed this abuse of a trademarked name.

That's because trademark does not apply to filenames. Sun doesn't
consider classpath or GCJ as damage to Java in any way and has even used
the same license classpath originally had for their new openjdk effort.
IcedTea is a free and open source derivative of OpenJDK and included in
Fedora 8 by default and Sun has continued to use that as a prototype to
remove the binary encumbrances in their code. Once OpenJDK becomes
completely open source, Fedora will include that by default.

Besides a compatible version of Java requires signing a test suite which
until recently came with onerous restrictions that has been lifted and
paved the way to better compatibility.

http://www.press.redhat.com/2007/11/05/red-hat-helps-advance-open-source-java/

Rahul