Way to temporarily disable plugins in Firefox, when testing site requirements

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Sun Dec 30 21:06:02 UTC 2007

On Sunday 30 December 2007 21:24, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 30 December 2007, Tom Horsley wrote:
> >On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 13:27:26 -0600
> >
> >Steven Stern <subscribed-lists at sterndata.com> wrote:
> >> There seems to be no quick and easy (and easily reversible) way to
> >> disable plugins.
> >
> >I have a little shell script that I use to rename libflashplayer.so
> >to NOTlibflashplayer.soNOT when I want to turn off flash, and
> >another script to do the reverse. I suppose a similar thing would
> >work for each plugin (at least the ones that come as shared libs
> >like flash).
>
> Another possibility, and one I've used for a while now because a blow it
> all away install of the next new version doesn't wipe it out, is to put
> your plugins directory tree out of the browsers own install tree, then
> symlink it to the real directory.  To disable all plugins is then a matter
> of going to that browsers tree and blowing away the plugins symlink.  Its
> easily restored.
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene

Hi Gene. Rahul's suggestion only suspends extensions (netcraft, add block
plus, etc) , but not the plugins in about:plugins.

What would be ideal for me is having 2 desktop launchers for Firefox. One
having all plugins in about:plugins enabled, and the other having no plugins
in about:plugins enabled.

Perhaps I'm asking a bit much here, but folks from time to time have problems
accesing sites, due to missing plugins, or faulty plugins, and being able to
start Firefox with nothing in about:plugins, go to a site, and see what
plugins the site wants would be really usefull.

Any idiot proof instructions for doing the above?

Nigel.