Fedora on an ASUS G23-B2 [It works!]

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Dec 30 22:58:58 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-12-30 at 11:01 -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
> To answer my own question, I was able to get Fedora  8 installed on
> this machine. Two issues giving me 'problems' are getting the wireless
> Intel 4965AGN card working properly. Its driver is supposedly built in
> to the kernel, which is confirmed by the fact that it simply 'just
> works'....sometimes. There's no rhyme or reason to it so far. I click
> and configure, this, that, the same things over and over, but
> occasionally with a different, successful, result. Then, thinking I've
> got it, I try the same thing on next reboot, and it's all broken
> again...

I have a different Asus laptop, a PRO31J F3JC, using an Intel WM3945ABG
wireless card, and it's somewhat similar in that from time to time the
wireless wouldn't work, othertimes it'd work fine.  Reboots were
necessary to get it to work, at times.  And with no changes of settings
in between.

This smacks of not too brilliantly designed hardware, hardware that
doesn't reset itself properly when turned on, and drivers that can't
cause it to reset itself, either.

I'd also noticed that it would just about always manage to cause my
friend's modem/router to reset while Fedora was booting up,
disconnecting him.  But I don't recall it doing that when I booted up in
Ubuntu or Vista.  I can only imagine that happening if it were spewing
out garbage.

I don't have a wireless router myself, and disconnecting a friend using
his internet was being a nuisance, so I can't do much to diagnose things
at this time.  Given all the problems I'd noticed, I'm even less
inclined into wanting wireless.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386