desktop manager death via livecd-creator

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Dec 31 01:03:54 UTC 2007

Michael Wiktowy wrote:

> Well ... I wasn't expecting perfection. I just wanted to try
> livecd-creator out. I wasn't expecting it to crash my system.
> FYI: the ks you have on that wiki page doesn't work by default because
> of the repo line. I had to get rid of the extraneous space between the
> repo= and the rest, add os/ to the end and change to the Everything
> repo as the release didn't include some things you have listed.

I use a custom local repository to test things so the repo line is just
commented out and the final planned version of XFCE spin would likely
just inherit a existing base desktop kickstart file.

If you really wanted to just test livecd-creator there are much better
kickstart files available as part of the livecd-tools package (ie) the
ones that are used to create the official and customs spins for Fedora.
They are under /usr/share/livecd-tools.

. How much space does
> making a LiveCD take?

That really depends on the size of the image you are creating out of the
kickstart file. 4 GB would be a good baseline. Note that you can use a
different temp or cache folder using arguments to livecd-creator.

> I recall the last time I ran out of space, Fedora handled it much more
> gracefully, would gdm not starting up on a system with no hd space for
> a regular user be a regression?

All sort of odd things happen when there is no space left. X not
starting properly is a pretty typical but you should probably file a bug
report against GDM to handle this more gracefully if it can.

Rahul