F8 installation in external usb disk (not USB key)

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Dec 31 14:57:23 UTC 2007

Miguel Blanco wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Excuse me if this is a known FAQ, but I can't find any thing related
> to external usb disk
> (not USB key, ie. real 2.5" disk) but this
> http://www.vigla.eclipse.co.uk/usb_install.pdf
> paper wich refers to an old Fedora Core 3 version.
>
> I tried the process described above translating where applicable to F8
> with no sucess.
>
> Do you know whow can I install F8 in an external disk ?
>
> Regards,
> Miguel

You have to use the expert install. The standard install does not
offer to let you use USB drives. The drive will be accessed as a
SCSI drive. (Almost all drives in F8 are accessed as SCSI drives.)
Depending on your system, it will probably be /dev/sdb.

About the only complication is that you want to install Grub to the
USB drive. If you are planning on using the BIOS boot from a USB
device option, you will also have to modify the Grub device map so
that the USB drive is the first BIOS drive. (The BIOS remaps the
drives when you boot from the USB drive.) This is not necessary if
you are chainloading from another Grub install.

Mikkel