Java problem

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Mon Dec 31 16:58:52 UTC 2007

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 11:01:49 -0600
> Sorry, I just don't understand the concept of _wanting_ to prevent the
> distribution of improved versions of code and keeping others from having
> it, while at the same time claiming it is free.

Its really very simple. The GPL requires you provide any contributions
under a licence that makes them free. Without this the trend would be for
every driver to be non-free, then charged for and then there would be no
Linux.

Freedom is an active not a passive thing.

As to BSD code - the BSD licence specifically permits people to create
GPL only derivatives - so that is hardly hijacking. It may be neccessary
to stop a third party then producing binary only non-free improvements
and destroying the freedom.

Inaction does not create freedom.

Alan