OT: security of make as authorized_keys command

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Dec 31 18:15:39 UTC 2007

Manuel Arostegui Ramirez wrote:

> Morning Dave,
>
> This is such a dangerous thing, I have to say.
> First off, and regarding to the fact of what a bad guy could do...
> If he had acces to $command it means it would be able to know the key,
> so he can log in without a problem in the remote machine (not just
> executing remote commands which would involve a wee bit of experience
> in Linux enviroments to know the remote paths and all that, if he got
> access to the machine it would be easier. I hope I´m explaining myself
> quite clear).

I don't believe this is true. From the sshd man page:

command="command"
     Specifies that the command is executed whenever this key is
     used for authentication. The command supplied by the user (if
     any) is ignored. The command is run on a pty if the client
     requests a pty; otherwise it is run without a tty. If an 8-bit
     clean channel is required, one must not request a pty or should
     specify no-pty. A quote may be included in the command by
     quoting it with a backslash. This option might be useful to
    restrict certain public keys to perform just a specific
    operation. An example might be a key that permits remote backups
    but nothing else. Note that the client may specify TCP and/or
    X11 forwarding unless they are explicitly prohibited.  Note that
    this option applies to shell, command or subsystem execution.

Mikkel