dvd drive or driver?

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Mon Dec 31 19:59:05 UTC 2007

Tom Horsley wrote:
> I'm been noticing a weird thing lately:
>
> When I first put in a DVD that has a lot of files (backup
> stuff I'm sorting through), everything seems readable.
>
> If I let the DVD spin down, take a while looking at some
> of the stuff I got off it, then come back to look at
> additional files, sometimes the files near "the end" of
> the dvd start appearing truncated.
>
> This seems to creep up the disk, with more and more files
> becoming apparently corrupted the more cycles I go through
> of leaving the disk alone for a while.
>
> If I then eject the disk and remount it, everything comes
> back :-).
>
> Does this sound familiar to anyone? (I'm on x86_64 fedora 8).

    I am on F8 i386 and do not see that problem looking at the f8 dvd in
the directory with all the rpm files. I would think that the DVD
hardware needs to run when you try to look further down in the
directory. At least mine does. I see partial file names but then the DVD
light comes on and it fixes the file names.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User