FC6 X.11 New Install Failure

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Feb 1 03:10:40 UTC 2007

Jeff G wrote:

As mentioned earlier, a zero byte file is not what to expect from the
media. You might mount the disc on a working installation and look for
the rpms that it is stating zero bytes for. If they do not exist or you
cannot copy or view the contents of the file, it is most likely messed up.

It might be possible to that anaconda is looking for a file by the wrong
name based on what packages you have installed. I would not know what
the heck it is looking for on your system. If you are curious and it
made it up to that point, you migh find information regarding the
failure in the /root directory in log files. You can type linux rescue
or mount the partition from another installation.

What I would find simpler would be to type 'linux xdriver=i810' at the
boot prompt since you have an Intel card that I also have on several
computers I run Fedora on. This should force the installer to not try to
use another driver for install. If it still fails you might have a
problem with your CDROM being shoddy or your burned media not being
optimum. I believe you would pass 'linux ide=nodma' to force the
installer to slow down to accommodate shoddy media readers.

Varying your package selection, slowing down the processes for your
CDROM reader, specifying a known video drier or doing a text install or
network or from hard drive install are all of the options that I can
think of right now.

Jim

--
"OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard."
		-- Dr. Joy