Difference between the desktop and the server installation

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Feb 1 03:32:21 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 23:18 +0100, Liloulinx wrote:
> I want to know if when we upgrade the desktop (client) version of some
> distribution (like fedora) to its server version is equivalent to
> install directly this server version?
> My question relates mainly these 2 points: 1) Security, 2) The
> capacity of the machine to answer several web requests.

Well, up to FC6 (current release), there isn't two different versions.
Those choices just preselect what packages are installed by default.  If
you install the Apache webserver, you get the same Apache webserver,
whether you're starting off with a desktop or server default set of
packages.  Likewise for other choices, you get the same things.

The choices just preselect what some people considered were good
defaults for a server (file serving, web serving, mail, and whatever),
versus what was probabaly good defaults for a desktop box (office
software, mail clients, web browsers, etc.).

I read messages from the public lists.