Very hard time installing Flash on FC6.

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 15:44:01 UTC 2007

On 01/02/07, Mauriat Miranda <mirandam at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/1/07, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks, Anne. I am familiar with Stanton's page: it's the second
> > bookmark in my Fedora folder. Stanton recommends using yum to install
> > the flash-plugin from the Macromedia repository. I did that, as
> > mentined in the email quoted above. However, Flash persists to elude
> > me.
>
> What does "about:plugins" say in Firefox?
No plug-ins are installed

> Are you seeing ANY plugins properly listed?
No, but I've never installed any other plugins in Firefox.

> Did you try resetting your firefox plugin cache?
> # rm ~/.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat
Yes, it was a fresh Fx install

> Did you try with a completely fresh firefox profile?
> # mv ~/.mozilla ~/mozilla_profile_backup
I did use the Fx profile from my Kubuntu box. But I also tested on a
fresh profile to be sure that wasn't causing the problem.

> Is this 32-bit or 64-bit Firefox?
32 bit firefox. I do know about the 64 bit issues. I installed FC6 i386.

> How exactly did you install firefox 2?
It's the Swiftfox Prescott build.

> (Someone please correct me, but I don't see FF2 on the FC6 updates RPM list)
> Manual installation?
Yes. I didn't think to mention it, but maybe I should have.

Also, I never get the license agreement window from the Macromedia installer:

[root at localhost ~]# yum remove flash-plugin
[snip]
Complete!
[root at localhost ~]# yum --enablerepo=macromedia install flash-plugin
[snip]
Complete!
[root at localhost ~]# /usr/lib/flash-plugin/setup install

NOTICE:
Files belonging to older Flash plugins have been removed from the
filesystem.  For your safety these files have been saved in
/root/oldflashplugins.tar.gz.  You may remove this tarball if these
files are no longer required.
[root at localhost ~]#

Dotan Cohen

http://technology-sleuth.com/short_answer/why_are_internet_greeting_cards_dangerous.html