Used portnumbers

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Feb 1 19:59:05 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-30 at 20:55 +0100, Erik Grootjans wrote:
> Hoi,
>
> I have installed vnc4.1 on a pc with windows.
>
> If i build up a connection from a fedora6 machine to the win98 pc - with
> the firewall on - it works
> If i build up a connection from win98 to the fedora6 pc - with the fire
> wall on - i get NO connection
>
> When i build up a VNC connection from a FC6 to a FC6 pc - with the fire
> wall on - i get no connection
> When i build up a vnc connection with the firewall off on the server
> (The screen i get) - it works
>
> So i think i have to allow some ports in the Linux firewall
> Which ports and what is the syntax to add them.

Well, I'm not a huge fan of just running vnc as it's insecure.  I prefer
to tunnel it via ssh, in which case you only need to open the ssh port
(TCP port 22).  However, raw VNC servers use TCP port (5900 + the number
of the display). So, for the first display, TCP 5900.  For the second,
port 5901 and so on.

> What are the default ports used by Rsync for building up a connection to
> a internet rsync-server?

rsync uses port 873, both TCP and UDP.

-     Have you noticed that "human readable" configuration file      -
-          directives are beginning to resemble COBOL code?          -