The Case of the Missing Characters

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Feb 2 01:49:47 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 19:43 +0000, Steve Searle wrote:
> Is anyone else seeing these mangled, or is it just me?

Mangled in different ways (poor quoting style when replying).  I've seen
paragraphs in the right places, except for one post from them, where it
looked like they'd use <pre> around a section.

They're posting a multipart alternative message, using quoted-printable
encoding of the plain-text and HTML sections.  By now, all mail clients
should be able to handle quoted-printable (it's a many-years-old
technique), though it appears that some do not.  (Which, like HTML and
format=flowed, allows a paragraph to reflow and fill the reader's
window.)

Microsoft's OE always made a mess of quoting when it was sending using
quoted-printable encoding.  It looks like their latest abomination of
Hotmail is just as bad.