The Case of the Missing Characters

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Fri Feb 2 05:20:12 UTC 2007

On 01Feb2007 21:09, kwhiskerz{ <kuiskers at telus.net> wrote:
| On February 1, 2007, Cameron Simpson wrote:
| > You don't forward to your provider. You pull directly to your home linux
| > box's mail spool using getmail or fetchmail, or directly to your KMail by
| > setting up entries for the various POP services you'll have (hotmail,
| > whatever).
| >
|  Hey, I never thought of that :-) That saves a lot of time, instead of going
| to all of those web sites (well, 3 sites: gmail, yahoo and msn).
|
| I think I will try getting the mail from within kmail. I am not sure if I am
| up to setting up fetchmail or getmail.
|
| What do you think? Is this the best way to go, or should I learn those
| programs?

Start with KMail. There's no point, and some pain, in using fetchmail or
getmail and you'd still then have to tell KMail to get the mail from where
those programs put it. I use getmail to collect email and procmail to file
it - mutt doesn't have mail filters and doesn't want them. So mutt users
filter on fetch using other tools. KMail should keep you happy for a while
until you want something weird from your filters that it doesn't support.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Any technology that is distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
- Colin Druitt <colind at ram.net.au>