The Case of the Missing Characters

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Fri Feb 2 07:16:31 UTC 2007

On Fri February 2 2007, kwhiskers{ wrote:
> but google doesn't. I can send to google, but not receive
> reliably. When I try to receive, nothing happens, so I log in and the mail
> is there. I set pop enabled and it sets a time, the time of my last email.
> I log out and download and all mail comes. I send another, and same thing.
> It won't come and I have to log in and reset pop enable again and the time
> now is the time of this next letter, etc. Strange.

Not enough info to say. I have two google accounts. I have all mail sent to
each automatically forwarded to one of my regular ISP accounts. But, I have
smtp set up one of them, and that works reliably. I also used pop for awhile,
but for reasons I no longer remember, I stopped doing it that way. I've got
seven different addresses I manage, and my system is convoluted, but works
well for my situation. I can check my mail from any of many machines I might
be working at during the day. During those checks, the messages are
downloaded but not deleted from the servers. Late in the night, I have one
archival machine that downloads from all the accounts and deletes the
messages from the servers at that point. I have a central archive that way,
but, can always get my mail from anywhere during the day. Some day, I'll have
to get around to setting up imap, but, it's not on my high priority list
because what I've got is working well.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA