pgAccess & phpPgAdmin with postgresql under FC6

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Fri Feb 2 16:38:42 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 20:04 -0800, parishd wrote:
> I'm trying to access a postgresql database via the graphical frontends
> pgAccess and phpPgAdmin, running under FC6 (completely up-to-date via
> yum). The access control file, pg_hba.conf, contains
>
> # TYPE DATABASE USER CIDR-ADDRESS METHOD
> local all all md5
> host all all 127.0.0.1/32 md5
> host all all ::1/128 md5
> host all all 192.168.0.3 255.255.255.255 md5
>
> and I've edited /etc/init.d/postgresql to launch the postmaster with
> the -i option to allow remote connections.
>
> With pgAccess, I am unable to open the database using the host
> localhost (couldn't open socket: host is unreachable), but using the
> ip (192.168.0.3) works fine; at least after adding the final line
> shown in my pg_hba.conf above.
>
> With phpPgAdmin, when I enter http://localhost/phpPgAdmin in the
> browser, I'm delivered to phpPgAdmin login page, but cannot login/open
> the database (error message: login failed). However, when I enter
> http://192.168.0.3/phpPgAdmin in the browser (the line that works for
> pgAcess), I can't even get to the login screen message: (error
> message: Forbidden: You don't have permission to access /phpPgAdmin on
> this server).
>
> I have read through the docs and online forums, and experimented with
> various settings in pg_hba.conf, config.inc.php, php.ini,
> /etc/init.d/postgresql, postgresql.conf, etc., as described in various
> posts, but I'm stumped. I haven't seen this exact behavior described
> before and was hoping it might enable on of you to tell me what I'm
> missing or where I might look next.
>
> Thanks for your help.
----
I don't know anything about pgAccess - I've never used it.

I do occasionally use phppgadmin.

I would venture to guess that you are running into SELinux issues...is
it on? If so, try turning it off to get it out of the way, work all your
connection issues through and then turn it back on so you can create the
rules/policies necessary to allow it to work.

Craig