Enquiry,,,

Dmitriy Kropivnitskiy nigde at mitechki.net
Fri Feb 2 19:57:42 UTC 2007

James Wilkinson wrote:
> It's usually a bit faster.
Just to avoid the confusion, are you saying that 64-bit capable
processors are faster than 32-bit only or that application compiled for
64-bit architecture is faster then the same application compiled under
32-bit architecture on the same hardware. The reply to your post tells
me that people think you mean the former, where I was talking about the
latter. I will not dispute the claim that 64-bit CPUs are faster then
32-bit, cause I don't think they make 32-bit only CPUs anymore (at least
in the x86 architecture). So any 32-bit CPU will be just plain outdated
and therefore slower then any modern 64-bit (and 32-bit capable) CPU. As
for the applications, I believe the difference should be negligible
unless the application is trying to use a lot of RAM. I think I have
seen some benchmarks confirming this, but at the moment I cannot seem to
find them.