hi all..

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Fri Feb 2 22:21:46 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-02-02 at 18:05 -0400, Rodolfo Alcazar wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-02-02 at 13:56 -0800, Alex Miua wrote:
> > Hello everyone!
> >
> > I was trying to install FC 6 Zod. Is this a "stable"
> > and tested version of Fedora? I am new to this area.
> > Please advice.
>
> Welcome.
>
> Zod is a stable release, it is the last, but sometimes you'll find a
> little bug. I would advise using another distro, but I really enjoy
> fedora

I advise Fedora for noobs.
Some of the other distros that seem easier only seem so because they
compromise security to achieve it - such as very insecure sudo defaults
that essentially make any admin group user password a root password.

IE someone gets your user account password, they can do more than just
mess up your user files, they can become root with sudo and alter
binaries so that you don't know they are there, continuously collecting
information about you.

It is better to start with a distribution like Fedora that does not
compromise security as much as many of the "easy" distros.

For years people have been predicting that MacOS X and Linux would get
hit by viruses and spyware just like windows if they became popular.
Some of the security bypasses that some distros make (including OS X)
are exactly what can allow that to happen. Just like it happened on
Windows.

-=-

With respect to where to start with Fedora, I suggest using a respin :

http://torrent.fedoraunity.org/

If you have a DVD drive just get the DVD.
Don't get the source though by accident.

The advantage to a respin is that you will need less updates once
installed.