Fedora ISO distribution with Metalink

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Feb 2 23:49:56 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-02-02 at 21:41 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 01:02:55 -0500, Anthony Bryan wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just wanted to invite people to try out downloading Fedora ISOs with
> > Metalink.
> > It's an XML format for listing mirrors and checksums along with other
> > information. openSUSE, OpenOffice.org, Arch Linux, and other distributions use
> > it.
> >
> > It usually results in much faster and more reliable downloads.
> >
> > aria2 is in Extras and is a great command line client for segmented downloads
> > and BitTorrent, along with Metalink. There are also other GUI clients on Mac,
> > Unix, and Windows.
> >
> > You can find .metalinks for most Fedora ISOs at
> > http://download.packages.ro/metalink/fedora/
> >
> > For more info, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metalink
> >
> > I'd be interested in any comments people have.
> > --
> > (( Anthony Bryan
> >   )) Metalink [ http://www.metalinker.org ]
> >

> OK, I read most of the fedora parts, started to download aria2, and
> suddenly thought to try yum install aria2 instead. It worked -- you got it
> and installed it -- but now I have an old old Very Dumb Question : how do
> I invoke it?? It doesn't seem to have added a launcher to the main menu
> under internet, where I'd expected to find it ...

It's a command-line thing, not a GUI thing.  As was mentioned in
Anthony's posting:

   "aria2 is in Extras and is a great command line client..."

I know, it's Friday!  :-P
-         If this is the first day of the rest of my life...         -
-                        I'm in BIG trouble!                         -