Dell's w/o OS - where?

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Sat Feb 3 06:07:10 UTC 2007

On Sat February 3 2007, linuxmaillists at charter.net wrote:
> Wal-Mart is still selling only from their website one system
> with Linspire installed.  They have been doing that for
> about 5 years now.
>
> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3762912

Actually, they were selling those in my local Walmart at Christmas two seasons
back.
Thanks to all who responded. I got so irritated with Dell, that I was finally
able to overcome the corporate predilections, and I sold them on a SuperMicro
barebones system; we're going to put dual Opterons in it with 4 GB of ram,
and use it to run a vmware server. Unfortunately, I couldn't convince the
cheese to go with a Linux server running vmwareserver, so I'll be installing
Vista on it.
This is a beautiful machine in case anyone is interested - it has eight dimm
slots and can take up to 16 GB of memory (actually up to 32 GB in one
configuration); it has 8 hot swap SATA2 drive slots in the front. It was
suprisingly cheap, considering what it is. I have no experience with
supermicro boards directly, but they're considered the primo setup for
non-linear video editing systems I use, and are constantly praised on that
board. If anyone wants to see this box, you can go to mwave.com and click on
barebones systems in the left column, and then click on barebones servers

Thanks for all the responses

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA