How to get rid of.....

François Patte francois.patte at math-info.univ-paris5.fr
Sat Feb 3 08:57:34 UTC 2007

Bonjour,

FC6 new install.... After fighting to configure the system, I have to
fight with user accounts: some people at Fedora do not care about the
waste of time  and put things they believe useful by default.

I use to install new releases without changing the home partition for (I
think) clear reasons to everybody.

Now, user's complains come: they do not find their pervious config they
build to work and no help is available....

1- When openning a session: two windows open automatically: one is named
"sessions" and display some information we don't understand; no help
available to understand them and to avoid this window to come up.... The
second window is the nautilus file manager: I don't want this window (my
file manager is only a terminal!) no help to know how to get rid of this.

2- When using two screens, the previous configuration (fc4) displayed
gnome panel only on the main screen, now to more panels come up on the
secondary screen: why? You can suppress them only for the current
session and they come back the next time you login. How to suppress them
permanently? No help available.

3- Why my thunderbird configuration has been changed? I have to suppress
again some services that I did not want previously....

4- Where are the CD/DVD that I insert in the DVD-drives? I can only see
them if I put in my preferences "open automatically the files when media
is inserted" (something like that, I translate from French): I don't
want this, I want to access them through a terminal! No icon is
displayed on the desktop to remind you that there is a CD in a
drive..... Same if I plug a usb hard-drive, but this one is accessible
through /media folder.

Why does developpers spread the idea that M$ is THE RIGHT NORM for
computers.

Regards

--
François Patte